Our History- Established 1975
Phillip’s Foote derives its name from Captain Arthur Phillip, Commander of the First Fleet from England to Australia in 1788. One of the first white men to set foot on the shores of Sydney Cove, his mission was to set up a British penal colony.
Amongst the convicts on board his ship, The Scarborough, was Joseph Tuzo whose descendant, Howard Dredge helped established Phillip’s Foote in 1975.
The building housed a sailors’ bar, custom’s agent and stable before standing derelict until the early 1970s. During Sydney’s notorious trade union Green Bans, Phillip’s Foote emerged to become what it remains today, an eatery with lashings of colonial charm and true Australian hospitality.
Phillip’s Foote is located in the heart of Sydney’s most historic area, The Rocks.
A focal point for exploring Australia’s heritage, this busy, bustling precinct attracts both locals and international visitors